Friday, September 5, 2014

Well I have begun my new blog, now in which direction do I point it?

My initial thoughts were to transfer over all the drawings, sketches and paintings that I had on my existing ajnphotography blog.

In the clear light of early morning I think that might be a bit redundant. So I will continue moving forward.

For any newcomers you can browse backwards through my previous blog posts here www.ajnphotography.blogspot.ca

So a quick overview as to what I have been up to and how I got here..

Recently I read 'The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to Be the Artist You Truly Are' by Danny Gregory


In the section under 'excuses' i.e ' I don't have time to draw' he says and I'm paraphrasing here, “So you get up in the morning, make coffee and breakfast and then what?
Well instead of just sitting there, draw your breakfast!”

Well I did and spent the whole day, I was on vacation, drawing and sketching. Was that because I started early?

I also started a daily (well supposed to be daily) Sketching Journal. Some of those pages will appear here, warts and all.

Recently I joined the KW Urban Sketchers group and tagged along on an outing to Doon Village in Kitchener.
Never heard of the Urban Sketchers movement?
Well here is their website: http://www.urbansketchers.org/

I find my 'style' to be very 'technical' and detailed. The Urban Sketching style is more loose and free flowing so I am trying to expand my horizons in that direction too.


 The Surf's Restaurant-Balmy Beach Ontario
Waiting for dinner to arrive

This is one of my first 'Urban Sketching' attempts .. I still find my colours 'muddy' and this breaks the Urban Sketcher manifesto of complete it on-site, I added the watercolour when I got home ;-)

Alan

1 comment:

  1. Nice sketch, Alan. I think you don't have to look very far to find that 'urban sketching' isn't a style. If you want precise, take a look at Pete Scully, Gerard Michel, Carnet de Bru, and many others like them. The only statement about style in the Urban Sketcher's Manifesto reads, "We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles." Doesn't get any more explicit than that :-)

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete